Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Starting 'em young...

Fin and Pat are best friends. Like in cahoots, snickering when a toot is heard, going out on errands and coming home with gatorades and chewing Big Red, kind of best friends. Of course they are best friends with Cole too, but he's still a little young for their shenanigans.
Tonight Pat was sitting on the porch smoking a pipe and highlighting tax documents and Fin went out there with a highlighter and construction paper and sat their highlighting things next to him. Pat kept calling questions to me about certain expenses throughout the year and Fin kept coming in, highlighter in hand, with his own questions for me:
"Alright mom, when it's the summer time, we have to go to Walmart"
"Ok mom, it says here that I highlighted that when it's 12 in the morning, we have to go to church, ok?"
When Pat was done with his pipe and I told Fin to put his mask on for his breathing treatment, this is what I found...
Notice the pipe? Something wrong about "smoking" and getting a breathing treatment at the same time.

When driving to meet Pat for lunch yesterday Fin said shyly, "Mom, something very exciting has happened. I have HAIR ON MY ARMS! I'm a man now". It took all of me not to belly laugh, but he was so serious and so excited. So I ooo'd and ahhhh'd over the peach fuzz growing on his little arms and later told Pat about it where we had a good laugh.
Today we gave Fin his first wallet (spiderman of course) so he has something to bring his offering to church in. Pat presented it to him with a serious face saying, "Well Fin, we've been noticing that you've been growing hair on your arms and we think that now that you're becoming a man, you need a wallet". It was like a coming of age ceremony. Fin acted like we were giving him his first car or something. So So funny.
Parenting without laughing is something I need to take a class in. Or I need sedatives for. Either way, I need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment