Tuesday, August 9, 2011

And so it begins...

When my sister Sarah first asked if Fin could sleepover at her house I was skeptical. I knew that he would LOVE it, but I wasn't sure if I was ready to let him be away from me for the night. I tried to weasle out of it by reminding her that he typically wakes up a little before 6am but she was still game to do it so we agreed.
Pat and I dreaded this day like he was going to college. Fin and I packed up his little going away bag (sound machine included) and I really feel like someone should give me an award for not telling him that he could still back out if he wanted to and "don't you think you might miss your mama?".  Such a missed opportunity to emotionally stunt him.
This is the big boy getting ready to leave. He told me goodbye about 12 times throughout the day as he tried to leave early for Sarah's. I was starting to get a little offended at his eagerness.

Fin and his Aunt Sarah. They are soul mates pretty much. He doesn't know he can't marry her yet.
The night was a success. Sarah took him and Uncle Will to get cupcakes and then go play at the park. We did Facetime with him on my iphone before bed and he was sitting there as happy as can be munching on a big bowl of popcorn. Obviously I wanted to see tears and despair.
Tonight before his bedtime, Fin, Pat and I were lying in our bed just talking and I asked him when he dreamed about while he was there. "Mouseys riding on tomatoes" was his prompt reply. Then I asked if he missed me so much. "Yes I missed you mama soooo much" he said. "What about me?" Pat asked. Fin looked at him skeptically "No b/c you're freddy (sweaty)". Poor Pat had just gotten back from the gym.
It's a small victory but I'll take it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed!!!!! I weaseled out of my first over-night for Gunnar at my sister-in-law's last month, but am now on the hook for later this month (nail biting stage currently). Glad it went well :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete