Sunday, March 25, 2012

For Finley...

Since this is our version of our family photo album that you can look back on one day and see all the neat things you did and said, I wanted to write you this note.
   Tonight you had a hard time going down to bed. You've been testing things a little bit by wanting to get the last word in, in every conversation and you've become a master staller at things you don't want to do. Tonight we talked to you about this and you had to go to bed early as a consequence. You cried going down, I went in to give you a warning. You cried about needing a stuffed animal, I went in and gave you your teddy and a hug and kiss. You cried a third time b/c you wanted me to sing your lullaby from when you were a baby. I'm sure of the fact that it wasn't so much you wanted to be sung to, you were just trying to gain control over a situation you were not happy about. So for that reason I said no. And it broke my heart to do it, but I had to. Because you need to know that you are not in charge, your parents are. And more importantly your Heavenly Father is. And I know these lessons are hard and they don't make sense now, but it's these little incidents that mold your character, and I'm DETERMINED to do right by you as your parent, by God's grace.
     But I want you to know that after you fell asleep, I went back into your room, stroked your cheek and your fuzzy head, and sang you your lullaby. Because you and Cole are my heart. And parenting is hard. And sometimes I have to ignore my desires to "give in" because it's for your own good and that's hard too.
     But I love you and will always love you. And so tonight I sang you your lullaby. And I just wanted you to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment