Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Happy Meal

On the way back from a doctors appointment today I swung through the Mcdonalds drive thru to get a happy meal for Fin as a reward for being so good. This is a rarity for us as we don't usually eat Mcdonalds food. Not because I'm against fast food but I'm a bit of a fast food snob and Mcdonalds is the lowest of the low to me. But Fin saw a commercial about Mcdonalds happy meals being given in trick or treat buckets and was intrigued. I was hungry too so I grabbed one for myself.
   As soon as I smelled that meal and ate a fry, I had a flashback. I grew up eating a .99 cent hamburger happy meal every.single. Tuesday. As my mom put it, "where else can you feed a family of six kids  for $6.42?". I was reminded of sitting in the dark in the back seat of the car, riding home, smelling those yummy (?) meals and wishing I could sneak a fry. Of getting home and grabbing 6 Kraft singles from the fridge for everyone to slap on their burger. Sidenote: putting a cold cheese slice on a lukewarm burger does not a delicious burger make.
     I remembered drinks being passed out with the options of fruit punch or sprite and inevitably there are more requests for sprite then there were drinks. Of searching for the burnt fry in the bunch to use to scrape the onion pieces off of my hamburger because of course you don't want to waste a good fry on that! Of picking off the pickles and passing them to a sister that likes them. Of pretending not to care that I got a toy in my meal, but secretly hoping it wasn't the same toy as last week.
     I have to say, the happy meal definetely hasn't improved with age in regards to taste, but it did make me happy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment